McDonald's restaurants are found in 118 countries and territories around the world and serve 68 million customers each day. McDonald's operates over 35,000 restaurants worldwide, employing more than 1.7 million people. The company also operates other restaurant brands.
Business Drivers & Challenges
An initial implementation done by "Big 5" consulting company left significant gaps in McDonald's desire to have a global 24x7 BI strategy. Performance issues were impacting user adoption and 24x7 availability. Oracle E-Business Suite was the primary data source and several complex data quality issues were exposed.
McDonald's needed to ensure that business intelligence best practices were followed during their simultaneous ERP system implementation. McDonald's also needed to ensure that the ERP implementation was of the highest quality.
KPI Partners completed a thorough health check of McDonald's existing business inteligence environment that had been customized for their finance department. A strategic road map was constructed to help guide McDonalds along a path towards achieving their goals:
- A customized strategy for 24x7 business intelligence at McDonalds
- Optimized performance for modern analytics
- Efficient strategy for data integration and extract-transform-load (ETL)
- Proof-of-concept solution for global financial analytics
KPI made the recommendation to McDonald's for a simultaneous enterprise resource planning (ERP) and business intelligence (BI) deployment using Oracle E-Business Suite (EBS), Oracle Business Intelligence Enterprise Edition (OBIEE), and Oracle BI Applications (OBIA). With the strategic consulting expertise of KPI Partners, McDonald’s was able to:
- Utilize their BI platform to validate conversion data
- Expose data quality issues in their Oracle E-Business Suite instance
- Elevate the quality of their Oracle E-Business Suite implementation
- Apply industry best practices for ERP implementation
- Fill significant performance, data quality, and scalability deficiencies left following an initial implementation completed by a "Big 5" consulting company
- Implement a global 24x7 business intelligence strategy
- Resolve performance issues that had been impacting user adoption
- Accomodate 24x7 availability to increase user adoption