About National Oilwell Varco (NOV)
NOV is a leading provider of equipment and components used in oil and gas drilling and production operations, oilfield services, and supply chain integration services to the upstream oil and gas industry with annual revenues of $7.3 billion and over 37,000 employees.
Customer Need / Business Driver
- Need better-consolidated reporting from 7 different data
- Replacement of the Oracle BI reporting platform, which had poor user self-service
- Ability for users to understand the lineage of a specific table and column in a Business Schema
- Business-friendly column descriptions for users
- Data Lineage and Adoption Report
The company evaluated many consulting companies but selected KPI Partners because of KPI’s expertise in practically all BI Reporting tools, In addition, KPI proposed a team with 100% offshore team resources to minimize cost and risk for the customer.
What KPI Delivered
- Incorta Analytics on AWS
- Consolidated reporting for global spend analysis
- Global inventory analysis
- Global sales analysis
- A System Defined Schema (SDS) with aliases for all the Physical schema tables created by KPI. A BV is then created on top of this for Users for their reporting needs
- A script developed by KPI to update the labels with Business-friendly names for all BPCS tables (close to 6000+ columns, which makes manual changes difficult)
- Reports build by KPI on Incorta metadata and used them as data dictionary references, ex. Business Schema Details Report, Search Tables report, Usage reports etc.
- Delivery via a 100% offshore team, 70% cost savings to NOV
NOV’s Incorta Architecture
NOV: Incorta Implementation in Numbers
- Incorta has become a global reporting tool to access data across multiple sources reports
- Multiple source consolidated reports have given a deep insight for higher management for decision making
- Loads maintenance has become very easy and fast
- Incorta self-service capability has given an advantage to user to develop reports by on their own instead of waiting for the development team
- Very fast load time and report speed
KPI has been working with our Data Analytics team for the past four years in development, administration, and architecture of our Oracle Analytics Cloud and Incorta products. KPI’s knowledge and attention to detail have aided in keeping our analytics team on track during the recent recession and through a major restructure. KPI’s quality of work is outstanding.
On more than one occasion KPI has delivered solutions to complex obstacles that even our vendors have been unable to resolve. We can always trust that KPI will not only implement, but augment best practices as their knowledge, not only of the product but of the underlying technologies as well, continues to evolve.
Leveraging KPI’s offshore team has enabled a near 24-hour delivery cycle for our analytics team, while also providing working hour support for our companies in the eastern hemisphere.